Thursday, August 25, 2016

Day 5, August 16, part 2

Part 2 of Day 5, August 16, continued from part 1. 

I wanted to convey the solitude and beauty of the place where I stopped to replenish water (and dip my bare feet into the icy coldness, which they love).  Photos 7 and 8 are the best I could do. 

 

 

I made my way up a long ascent to the campsite. The walk up was shady and so easy compared to yesterday. (Or was it that Ener-C?). The campsite was crowded! A woman and two men. I thought I recognized one man. A legendary camper named Billy Goat who has spent at least 15 summers on the PCT. he doesn't do thru-hikes anymore (now in his late 70s) and finds that as he slows down he has to carry more food (more days between resupplies when you can't hike as many miles in a day as you'd like). He told me how moved he was that when he had open heart surgery last year and he got dozens and dozens of cards, many from hikers he had never met. I felt that it was a special gift from the trail that my hike didn't end without meeting the famous Billy Goat. It turns out that we were both on the Camino this spring too. (He started at St. Jean March 30 and finished sometime in May. Went to Muxia and Finesterre as well as Santiago.  Here he is in photo 10, with his great little bug tent behind him. 

 

See you on the trail tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment