Thursday, August 25, 2016

Day 4, August 15

Day 4, Monday, August 15. From pct mile 2511.92, elev. 5294, to PCT mi 2528.98, elev. 5724 feet. Walked 17.06 miles. Total up/down +6262,/-5832. 

Dear Trail Friends

A LOT of steep up and down trail today ( and that doesn't even count the time I got lost hiking around a bunch of fallen trees and had to hike up a practically vertical slope to find the trail again. )

My knees and feet informed me that I may be pushing them a little bit too hard. So I tried to make it up to them with loving touch and pain cream tonight. 

Having discovered that I somehow left half my electrolytes at home, and being extremely dependent on them, I did the trail version of "spare change" today. I asked practically every hiker I passed if they carried electrolytes and if they had more than they needed and could help me out. People were extremely nice and helpful. Four different hikers gave me a variety of powdered drinks and pills. 

(I never mentioned that I also left behind my drivers license, credit cards, and health insurance cards. Chris got nervous about putting my entire identity into the mail, and Meander who had gotten a bunch of cash for his trip to Holland gave me more cash than even I could manage to spend. Fortunately I did bring a check to write to him. )

So, starting from the end of the day, when I hiked a long way to reach a campsite that turned out to have a wonderful view. Photo 2 shows the moonrise from my campsite. 

 

Photo 2 is a chart from one of my gps apps of the ups and downs between mile 2512 and 2529 (Dolly Vista Camp, where I am!) sorry that it's confusing. 

 

When I started that long descent, there was a great view of the downward-heading switchbacks ahead (though the descent continued what felt like forever long after they were done with).  Photo 4 shows the switchbacks ahead. 

 

I'm a little confused about the order of things but one of the real high points (elevation and emotion) was Mica Lake (photo 5)  Not only was it a gem of a lake with both turquoise and lapis lazuli colors, but I was all alone there and persuaded myself to wade in and despite the icy water to dip my whole body in (though I swam back and popped right out). Amazing how good those few seconds in the lake felt and left me feeling for hours. 

 

What else? The beautiful (and hot and horrible) climb up at the end of the day. Photo 6 shows some of the view, with a glacier peak in the background. 

 

And guess who reappeared larger than life? Photo 7 shows the majestic mountain I have been assuming is Mt B - though I am not sure. 



That's all folks. I'm tired and ready to sleep. See you on the trail tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment