Thursday, August 25, 2016

Day 3, August 14 - part 1

Part 1 of Day 3, Sunday, August 14. From pct mile 2492.72 , elev. 5534 ft. to pct mile 2511.92, elev. 5294. Walked 19.19 miles, total up/down: +5083/-5368. 

Dear Trail Friends,

Here I am in my tent. It is 7:15pm and I can hear the strong flow of a nearby stream. 

What a big day today was. It was the first day I have felt fully in love with being here. I think it always takes me awhile to adjust, both to elevation and to the daily long walks. 

I hardly know where to begin. Well, this is not in chronological order, but today I realized that the shrill whistles I had been hearing were marmots. Photo 1 shows a small convocation of marmots (there were four, though I seem to only have gotten two into the photo) 
whistling to one another about the odd human trespassing on their territory  

 

Have you ever seen a marmot?They have the body of a very large squirrel with the face of a very small bear and they often stand up just at the edge of a hole, so I take it they are tunnel builders and live partially underground. Seeing them made me think of the Sierra, where I first saw them. 

Photo 2 shows the dawn light on Mt Baker (I hope I am right that it is Mt Baker and that I am not misleading you!) What's not to love? But of course I was already in love with Mt B. 

 

Photo 3 shows the first snow on the trail. In August! I had entered Glacier Peaks wilderness. 

 

Photo 4 shows Reflection Lake and my shadow. 

 


Photos 6 and 7 show views during my early morning walk and I think they show I am starting to fall in love. 

 

 

To be continued in Day 3, part 2


No comments:

Post a Comment