Thursday, August 25, 2016

Day 2, August 13, part 2

Continued from Day 2, part 1

The drama for the day came when I arrived at Lake Sally Ann and found my head net (bug net) gone. I had folded the front up ( it gets very hot and it's a trade off sometimes whether I want more to avoid being bonked by bugs or feel the breeze). I left my pack and hiked back a mile in search of the lost net. No luck. Back at the lake I was thinking I had just lost a favorite piece of gear and it was going to make my hike considerably harder and less pleasant when something black suspended from a tree caught my eye. There it was (photo 6) snatched by a tree branch at my rest stop at the lake. 



I intended to swim at the lake. Given that a group of young men (Boy Scouts?) were there a skinny dip seemed inappropriate. So I put on my little black town dress only to discover it was one of those icy alpine lakes that are great to wade in but that take a lot of oomph to actually submerge oneself in. Oomph I definitely did not have. 

I'd thought of camping at the lake but I didn't enjoy how crowded it was. Fortunately I found a perfectly lovely tent site less than 2 miles further north. (Photo 7). 


For awhile I didn't see Mt Baker and wondered if I could have somehow hiked north of it (seemed impossible, but where was it.). Then it appeared closer than ever. Love that mountain. (Photo 8)

 

And here I am in my tent listening to the first season of the Orcas Island Chamber Music Festival (19 years ago!) and not hearing the yellow jackets and flies pummeling my tent. 
I am wondering why they find me so attractive. Maybe the ripe plum I stuck in my pocket Thursday and forgot and slept on? I cleaned it as well as I could but maybe I am redolent of overripe fruit. It will be interesting to see after my town stop (and chance to do laundry) if the attraction continues. 

Sweet dreams and see you tomorrow on the trail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment