Thursday, August 25, 2016

Day 3, August 14, part 3

Continued from Day 3, August 14, part 2

So I turn another corner and I step into a lush shady forest and I'm heading down down down hill and right beside me (also not surprisingly heading downhill) is a seemingly endless and beautiful water fall (photo 14). 

 

Oh it was beautiful alright but I wasn't so enthralled when I realized I was going to have to cross it. Photo 15 shows where I crossed. My first time crossing on a log horsey style, but side saddle, so I could climb on from a rock and slide off onto a rock. I did it! I was delighted with myself for finding a place (quite a way upstream from the trail) where I could successfully cross - and then doing so. 
Three cheers for me! 

 

All this got me to thinking about my hoped-for pct tattoo. It will use the PCT logo, or insignia, that I have seen on so many trees and posts and been reassured I am on the trail. The logo has mountains with snow and a tall tree. My small change will be to add a river (duh) so that the snow melts into a river that flows down from the mountains and sort of flows through the boundary of the logo out into the world. Two things this tattoo means to me: a reminder that "I am the trail" whenever I look at my arm and see that reassuring logo. And a reminder that the whole rich experience of the trail doesn't end when the hike ends. It flows on and on. 

As I hiked today I thought how the snow in the mountains (as in the logo) is beautiful but also dangerous. So too when it melts into streams which are beautiful and also dangerous. Hard to have one without the other. Hard to say yes to life without accepting some risks. I feel so lucky to be experiencing this truth on the trail. So lucky and blessed that so far I have stayed safe.

The trail was tricky in places. One place it was wet. I slipped a couple of times and once really fell. As I fell I could almost remember how I learned in aikido to go with the fall, roll into it, not brace against it. To trust gravity. I am amazed that my body (as over against my conscious rational mind that doesn't have time to process a choice like that while I am falling) was able to learn and remember that. 

I was so grateful as I approached a very strong and loud stream crossing to find a bridge and I bless those who built it there. (Photo 16). And even this broken bridge (photo 17) made possible a safe crossing. 

 

 

Not long after the broken bridge I began my last climb of the day, a steep hike I'd been dreading. But it turned out to be shady, with a good trail tread. After a good portion of the day bush whacking through overgrown trail, or trying to make my way on a trail turned stream ( and mud) or discovering how to climb over or hike around large fallen trees, the uphill trek seemed rather restful. 

This should be the longest walk at least between here and Stehekin. Bye for now. See you on the trail tomorrow. Thank you as always for walking with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment