Friday, July 1, 2016

Pre-Hike Preparations July 1

Greetings Trail Friends,

I am sending this out to get a new blog established -- and to invite you to walk with me (in imagination) on the PCT in Northern California and Northern Washington this summer. I will be hiking 150 miles from near Quincy CA (where 120 crosses the PCT) to Burney Falls State Park  (see photos 1 and 2 for maps that show the route) and almost 200 from where Route 2 crosses the PCT at Stevens Pass near Skykomish to (and beyond) Canada border. If all goes well I will have completed the entire 2660 miles from Mexico to Canada at the end of this summer, since beginning shortly after I retired in the spring of 2013. Chris will be sending out notices when there are new blog posts. Please let us know if you are too busy to read and would prefer not to clutter your inbox and we will remove you from the email list. 

 

 

I am preparing for my summer hikes by training 8 miles on alternate days, and adding 2 pounds to my pack every other training day. Today I completed my second hike (Crescent Lake to the top of Mt Cobstitution and back--actually today I also walked the mile and a quarter or so from our house to the park because we were short on cars for the big family gathering we are hosting) carrying 28 pounds. I plan to go up to 30 pounds and then train for speed and endurance at that weight. By speed I only mean bringing up my speed to my usual slow trudge. Photo 3 shows the view from Mt Constitution at 8am this morning. 

 

My other preparations involve gear and food, and working to heal or at least partially heal my ongoing and apparently chronic GI problems (still persisting after two treatments for giardia and a negative test), and plan foods that are as easy to digest as possible. Chris' son Eric referred to the Camino blog as the "diarrhea diaries" --  so please be prepared for more of the same. 😏

That said -- perhaps this is enough for now! See you on the trail. 

Love (and gratitude for your company)
River


5 comments:

  1. Looking forward to every step on the way. What foods will you pack? Hope you get healthier and don't have any emergencies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to every step on the way. What foods will you pack? Hope you get healthier and don't have any emergencies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are SO fast Shelley! I have given up most of my trail bars and am using a vegan protein powder (no soy, no whey) that I hope is more digestible and seems so. I have also given up my dehydrated bean dinners and am bringing white rice cooked in bone broth (the current fad in superfoods to heal all that ails you, but a long time traditional remedy in my cultures for digestive ills), with dehydrated veggies & chicken & beef. I will also bring my much aged parmesan cheese and homemade jerky and hope I can digest them. I am feeling very optimistic today, but every day is different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so impressive that, by end of summer, you will have done so many miles, River. And completed the PCT trail. That's a stunning achievement. Walk well, and we'll be there imaginally!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks "unknown" for your encouragement. I love the sense of mystery of not knowing who you are, but knowing that you will be with me. Reminds me of the trail, the curiosity about what will be around the next corner, over the next hill. I have so wished I could bring that sense of wonder to encounters with people. Thanks, unknown friend, for giving me a tiny glimpse of that. Who will be with me imaginally? Who will I meet on the trail through this blog that will surprise me, even if i think I already know them?

    ReplyDelete