Sunday, July 24, 2016

Day 10, July 23

Day 10, Saturday, July 23, from 1397.58, elev. 3689 feet,  to PCT campground, mile 1415.87, elev. 2972. (.7 miles from MacArthur - Burney Falls Memorial State Park. ) Walked 18.29 mi - total up/down: +671/-1388ft.

Dear Trail Friends,

TRAIL JOURNAL. Although I have a short walk tomorrow morning to go see the falls for which Burney Falls is named, and to the park general store where I will, I hope, get some help with making a sign for hitchhiking, basically this section of my hike is over. 

Last night I woke up and looked into a sky gloriously filled with stars. I wondered why it was so different from other nights and then realized that the (now waning) moon had not yet risen. The moon has been so bright that one could not see the stars. 

I have only one 190-mile final section to hike and I will have completed this Mexico to Canada trail astounds and heartens me. I am proud to have made a commitment and stuck with it in the face of numerous adversities. And of course grateful for all the luck and support that has made it possible. I fantasize about another hike. Hike the PCT again, but in 2 years? Or maybe I really could do it in 1 year? Hike the Arizona Trail? Who am I when this dream is completed? 

Lots of questions. No answers. 

I woke this morning early and began my walk at 5:15. I could see without a headlamp,but barely.  Photo 1 shows the moon above the predawn horizon, photo 2 that magical moment I so love when the mountains seem to turn red (blushing?) in the first horizontal rays of sunlight. 

 

 

I loved the landscape and textures and colors when I was hiking the rim on Thursday, but now on Friday I was delighted by how different it was. When I stopped for a test break I was mesmerized by the gold grasses in photo 3 and 4. Photo 4 shows the grasses up close contrasted with the volcanic rock and a small wildflower. (I feel as if I am a waiter describing some exquisite cuisine to you, hoping to tempt you.)

 

 

Then I crossed a bridge over river Rapids and found myself thinking "what's the hurry, river?" There had to be a photo to go with that caption, so here is photo 5. 

 

Most places though the river was very calm and smooth. It was fun to see so many people in canoes or kayaks or paddle boats? or fishing from shore, finding so much happiness being on or near the river. Photo 6 shows the quiet river and the colorful thistle in the foreground.

 

I had planned to walk til noon, rest through the hottest part of the day until 4, then walk to a tent site about 3.5 miles earlier than the one I ended up walking to. Just before noon I came across a trail magic oasis, where I drank a root beer (remembering the delicious root bear floats that trail angel Coppertone provided) and ate a fresh banana. There were umbrellas, hence shade, and I tried to stay for the afternoon. I autographed the table (as 100s before me, all 2016 PCT hikers, had done) using the colored sharpies provided. I signed in the register and provided a joke as directed. I read over the jokes other hikers provided for a few good giggles (eg Why did the elephant paint her toenails red? Answer: so she would blend into the strawberry patch ) I found a tree with a thin strip of shade and did inverted pose for awhile. By 2:20pm I was restless and bored. And hot. Despite the shade, there was no breeze and sweat was dripping down my back. I figured I might as well walk. 

And, in fact, walking felt good, the motion itself seemed to stir up breeze. I turned on music and walked with long strides and somewhere in there the idea of stopping before Burney Falls got lost and I got intoxicated with what felt like high speed walking. In fact I was walking over 3 mph which is quite unusual for me at this age even without a pack. I even - first time ever - passed a couple of genuine thru hikers. Which is when I started to wonder: maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I could hike the whole PCT in one year. A six month hike from spring to fall, all the way from Mexico to Canada. Can you imagine such a thing? Intoxicatingly even to entertain the possibility. 

Photo 7 shows my cowboy camp site near Burney Falls. 

 

Oblivious, a hiker I met back in Drakesbad, was there too and we talked quite awhile. Mostly he talked and I listened as his talk became more and more personal. His experience when his child had leukemia. How it was for his wife. How much he loves his wife who is a real soul mate. He even began to dream of doing the Camino with her during our conversation. Since several men hikers (and actually a young woman too) have spoken quite openly on the trail, I've wondered if there's something I learned to do in therapy -- listen for, look for, affirm, mirror and magnify the beauty in people. If that is part of what I have to contribute to the world, my kind of trail magic, my version of root beer floats. Realizing that it is hard work and exhausting sometimes to listen. That maybe it is something I give. I like thinking that. 

And I do seem to feel more at peace with my therapy career. 

This has been an important walk, and it's shortness did not detract from the depth and richness of the experience, though I thought it would. Thanks for walking with me. Writing these blogs, sensing you "with me" so deepens the journey. 

POOP JOURNAL. Some seepage, mostly (clear, odorless) liquid, though twice had to change pads because of visible stinky brown stuff. Ho hum. Becoming comfortable with the idea that I can't control or predict this, but simply hold the hope that it will get better with time. 

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your words about listening as being your kind of trail magic. It reminded me of a quote I recently came across: "Being heard is so close to being loved that for the average person they are indistinguishable." ~David Augsburger

    ReplyDelete